STATISTICS ON ACID REFLUX
- 60 million adults experience acid reflux at least once a month
- 25 million people deal with acid reflux on a daily basis
- At least 50% of these people have acid reflux at night that interferes with sleep
- The average time of an acid reflux episode is 2 hours
- 65% of all people with acid reflux are in their 40s or older
- Chronic acid reflux occurs at least 3 times per week
- Chronic sufferers have a 50% chance of damaging their esophagus
- 20% of people with acid reflux develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
CAUSES OF ACID REFLUX
- Stomach Abnormalities. Hiatal hernia makes it easier for acid to move into your esophagus. Can happen to poepleat any age
- Smoking. Damages mucus membranes and increases acid secretion. Reduces saliva production which normally neutralizes acid.
- Diet. Alcohol, carbonated drinks, fatty foods, and acidic foods can all contribute to acid reflux. Consuming large meals or lying down after eating can also cause acid reflux.
- Obesity. Excess fat puts pressure on the stomach and increases the risk of acid reflux. Losing weight may help reduce the incidence of acid reflux.
DANGERS OF UNTREATED ACID REFLUX
- Esophagitis. A painful condition that can lead to bleeding, ulcers, or scarring.
- Barrett's Esophagus. Esophageal lining damage causes abnormal cell changes and can lead to cancer.
- Esophageal strictures. Scar tissue around the esophagus narrows the tube and makes it feel like food is stuck
Share this post
Nutritional Information Yogurt Starter Nutritional information for the 2 gram pack of yogurt starter cultur...Read More
The Name An intriguing name for rice, but this is how Black rice is also called. This name dates back to Ancient Chi...Read More
- Tags: Health