STATISTICS ON ACID REFLUX
- 60 million adults experience acid reflux at least once a month
- 25 million people deal with acid reflux on a daily basis
- At least 50% of these people have acid reflux at night that interferes with sleep
- The average time of an acid reflux episode is 2 hours
- 65% of all people with acid reflux are in their 40s or older
- Chronic acid reflux occurs at least 3 times per week
- Chronic sufferers have a 50% chance of damaging their esophagus
- 20% of people with acid reflux develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
CAUSES OF ACID REFLUX
- Stomach Abnormalities. Hiatal hernia makes it easier for acid to move into your esophagus. Can happen to poepleat any age
- Smoking. Damages mucus membranes and increases acid secretion. Reduces saliva production which normally neutralizes acid.
- Diet. Alcohol, carbonated drinks, fatty foods, and acidic foods can all contribute to acid reflux. Consuming large meals or lying down after eating can also cause acid reflux.
- Obesity. Excess fat puts pressure on the stomach and increases the risk of acid reflux. Losing weight may help reduce the incidence of acid reflux.
DANGERS OF UNTREATED ACID REFLUX
- Esophagitis. A painful condition that can lead to bleeding, ulcers, or scarring.
- Barrett's Esophagus. Esophageal lining damage causes abnormal cell changes and can lead to cancer.
- Esophageal strictures. Scar tissue around the esophagus narrows the tube and makes it feel like food is stuck
Share this post
Kefir is more than just a healthy drink! It also makes an effective, nourishing face mask for any skin type thanks to...Read More
Kefir is considered the 'queen of probiotic drinks', according to Emily Kean R.D.N. and nutritionist at Lifeway Foods...Read More
What is Kefir? Kefir is a fermented drink made out of either grain or powdered starter culture. It is similar to yogu...Read More
Got milk? We often hear this thru commercials and became a trending meme.It is somehow confusing if you go to the s...Read More
Many things are needed to be considered when you become pregnant as things in your body changes. One of it is in your...Read More
Yogurt is a yummy food produced by the bacterial fermentation of milk. Cows milk is the most common type of base f...Read More
Yogurt is a very popular fermented food and is widely consumed around the world. Its popularity arose from being ma...Read More
There are many varieties of yogurt available today that you're sure to find one for every use and lifestyle: Low-fat ...Read More
Yogurt is widely popular as a healthy probiotic food that is friendly with lactose-intolerant individuals. If you are...Read More
- Tags: Health