STATISTICS ON ACID REFLUX
- 60 million adults experience acid reflux at least once a month
- 25 million people deal with acid reflux on a daily basis
- At least 50% of these people have acid reflux at night that interferes with sleep
- The average time of an acid reflux episode is 2 hours
- 65% of all people with acid reflux are in their 40s or older
- Chronic acid reflux occurs at least 3 times per week
- Chronic sufferers have a 50% chance of damaging their esophagus
- 20% of people with acid reflux develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
CAUSES OF ACID REFLUX
- Stomach Abnormalities. Hiatal hernia makes it easier for acid to move into your esophagus. Can happen to poepleat any age
- Smoking. Damages mucus membranes and increases acid secretion. Reduces saliva production which normally neutralizes acid.
- Diet. Alcohol, carbonated drinks, fatty foods, and acidic foods can all contribute to acid reflux. Consuming large meals or lying down after eating can also cause acid reflux.
- Obesity. Excess fat puts pressure on the stomach and increases the risk of acid reflux. Losing weight may help reduce the incidence of acid reflux.
DANGERS OF UNTREATED ACID REFLUX
- Esophagitis. A painful condition that can lead to bleeding, ulcers, or scarring.
- Barrett's Esophagus. Esophageal lining damage causes abnormal cell changes and can lead to cancer.
- Esophageal strictures. Scar tissue around the esophagus narrows the tube and makes it feel like food is stuck
Share this post
Varieties of Coffee in the Philippines The Philippines has 4 varieties of coffee:1. Excelsa2. Liberica3. Robusta4. Ar...Read More
What is Whey Protein Milk contains two main types of protein: casein (80%) and whey (20%).Whey is found in the watery...Read More
Dried Mangoes - taste the mango Our dried mangoes are out of this world.You have to try it, to believe it.Using only ...Read More
Fresh Milk vs UHT Milk - what is the difference between these two In the Philippines there is a little confusion some...Read More
How to make your own yogurt in 5 simple stepsUsing our Bulgarian yogurt starter culture, you can prepare your own yog...Read More
Tackling with stains either on fabric or on furniture or on a car seat can be a painstaking job. That green tea or co...Read More
Because Kefir is a nutrient-dense food that also contains probiotics which is beneficial to overall well being, it is...Read More
Lactobacillus bulgaricus is a beneficial bacteria found in the digestive tract that can fight harmful bacteria that m...Read More
YOGURT BENEFITS: Boosts immunity and prevents infections and allergies Helps to lower hypertension and prevents car...Read More
- Tags: Health