NOT JUST HEARTBURN: UNDERSTANDING ACID REFLUX
Posted by TTN Palawan on
STATISTICS ON ACID REFLUX
- 60 million adults experience acid reflux at least once a month
- 25 million people deal with acid reflux on a daily basis
- At least 50% of these people have acid reflux at night that interferes with sleep
- The average time of an acid reflux episode is 2 hours
- 65% of all people with acid reflux are in their 40s or older
- Chronic acid reflux occurs at least 3 times per week
- Chronic sufferers have a 50% chance of damaging their esophagus
- 20% of people with acid reflux develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
CAUSES OF ACID REFLUX
- Stomach Abnormalities. Hiatal hernia makes it easier for acid to move into your esophagus. Can happen to poepleat any age
- Smoking. Damages mucus membranes and increases acid secretion. Reduces saliva production which normally neutralizes acid.
- Diet. Alcohol, carbonated drinks, fatty foods, and acidic foods can all contribute to acid reflux. Consuming large meals or lying down after eating can also cause acid reflux.
- Obesity. Excess fat puts pressure on the stomach and increases the risk of acid reflux. Losing weight may help reduce the incidence of acid reflux.
DANGERS OF UNTREATED ACID REFLUX
- Esophagitis. A painful condition that can lead to bleeding, ulcers, or scarring.
- Barrett's Esophagus. Esophageal lining damage causes abnormal cell changes and can lead to cancer.
- Esophageal strictures. Scar tissue around the esophagus narrows the tube and makes it feel like food is stuck
Share this post
Nutritional Information Yogurt Starter Nutritional information for the 2 gram pack of yogurt starter cultur...Read More
The Forbidden Rice – What is Black Rice
The Name An intriguing name for rice, but this is how Black rice is also called. This name dates back to Ancient Chi...Read More
- Tags: Health