Yogurt is a very nutritious fermented food and is widely popular all over the world. It is made of dairy and has beneficial bacteria called Probiotics like other fermented foods such as kefir, sauerkraut, and kombucha.
Yogurt, having made with dairy is not a problem to consume for lactose intolerants or people who have difficulty in digesting milk. This is because of the good bacterias in it that break lactose and makes it into lactic acid.
For you to able to get the most out of eating yogurt, you need to check the labels and make sure it has 'live cultures' on it or the like. This is because many yogurts that are being sold in the market today, especially those with fruits or are flavored, have added sugars in it -- which you might want to watch out to avoid health implications in the future.
Here are some more reasons why yogurt is considered good for your health:
- Yogurt (with live cultures) is a source of Probiotics. Probiotics are good bacterias that have powerful health benefits. These good bacterias help in maintaining a harmonious digestive system. Also, studies are showing that there is a connection between the gut and mental health in that when you eat probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, this will help your mind to stay healthy.
- Yogurt is a source of protein. A cup of plain whole milk yogurt (245g) contains about 8.5 grams of protein. Commercially made yogurts have higher protein because dry milk is sometimes added to make it thicker and richer.
- Yogurt may help in keeping your cholesterol level in order. Studies have linked the consumption of yogurt to a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels. People who consumed yogurt showed a better metabolic profile, according to healthline.com than those who did not. A study had shown that this was the effect of probiotics in yogurt.
- Eating yogurt may ease constipation. Probiotics that are found in yogurt and other fermented food products have an old reputation of combatting digestive woes.
- Yogurt is a good source of calcium. Because yogurt is made of dairy, it is also the food to go to so you get your regular dose of bone-health friendly calcium and to prevent osteoporosis.
There you have it. Reasons why you may want to start trying to include yogurt into your healthy list of foods if you want to get really serious in taking care of your health. Enjoy your yogurt!