PROBIOTICS & GOOD GUT HEALTH
What are probiotics?
- Probiotics are microorganisms, like bacteria or yeast, that are believed to improve health. They are available in supplements and foods.
Our digestive system is home to 500+ different types of bacteria.
Most probiotics are derived from these bacteria, often referred to as "good" bacteria.
How many bacteria are living in my body?
Average number of cells in a human body: 10 trillion
Average number of bacteria in a healthy person's body: 100-400 trillion
Where do bacteria live in my body?
- in the mouth, around the gums
- nasal cavity
- under the armpits
- within joints
- under the toenails, between the toes
What Kinds of Medical Issues Can Probiotics Treat?
Probiotics may help in the treatment or prevention of:
- infectious diarrhea
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- amniotic associated diarrhea
- helping the immune system
- diarrhea caused by C. difficile-bacteria
- ulcerative colitis